Onkyo TX-NR929 A/V Receiver
Throughout the years, I’ve been using many entertainment systems and I got satisfied with them but the technology in audio, as well as video is quickly changing and every change comes with improvement. I used to watch videos from the early days of Betamax, VHS and now DVD. I got captivated to hear music from the old vinyl records, cassette tapes, audio CD’s and now MP3’s. I am happy to share with you my unbiased review about Onkyo TX-NR929, the latest addition in my collection.
Onkyo TX-NR929 Capabilities and Features
Before I start the review, it’s important to note a few of its significant capabilities.
- Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, 9.2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver
- Onkyo Remote App for iPod, iPhone, Android and Kindle devices
- THX® Select2 Plus™ for Playback of Studio Reference
- Playback of files over wireless network for HD audio formats such as DSD, FLAC, WAV, Dolby TrueHD, MP3, WMA, WMA Lossless, Ogg Vorbis, AAC, Apple Lossless and LPCM
- Wide Range Amplifier Technology (WRAT)
- 3 Stage Reversed Darlington Circuitry and separate output for every Channels
- Room Acoustic Correction feature using Audyssey MultiEQ® XT32
- Phase-Matching Bass Boost
- Supports 4K Passthrough using HDMI, HD playback and upscaling capability
- MHL™ & InstaPrevue for Easy Video Switching
- Utilizes Marvel’s Processing Technology using Qdeo™ to upscale videos to 4k using HDMI
- Zone 2 HDMI for High-Definition Video in 2 Rooms
- Powered Zone 2 and Zone 2/3 Line-Out for Distributed Audio Playback in Multiple Rooms.
- Audyssey Dynamic Equalizer produces steady bass, sound and tonal enhancements at different volumes
- 9 HDMI Inputs and Outputs
- Expansion of HD Surround Sound using Dolby Pro Logic IIz, Audyssey DSX, & DTS Neo: X™
- Audyssey Dynamic Volume® for auto balance of volume
Design, Functionality and Build Quality
When it comes to its main functions, the Onkyo TX-NR929 is an excellent wide-range receiver. It measures 17.1”W x 7.8”H x 17.3”D and weighs only 40.8 pounds. It has a solid build and it looks very premium with a clean appearance. The main function buttons such as select, power, and volume can be accessed by closing the front panel door. When the front panel is opened, you will get full access to other functions as well.
I personally like the placement of the extra buttons behind the front panel because it gives a neat appearance to the receiver and I don’t really use it so often. I like to use the remote instead because all the buttons are there and it’s easier for me to use it even when I’m lying in bed, but the front panel buttons can also be useful at times when the remote is lost.
There are buttons in the RC-840 remote that lights up such as the input selections, power and volume. When you press the home button, the last button you pressed will light up. This is useful at night or when the light is out. Additionally, the remote is designed to be used on one hand if you want, you can also turn your mobile phone into a remote by installing the remote control application from Okyo which is compatible with iPod touch, iPhone, Kindle fire, and Android.
The Onkyo TX-NR929 offers a lot features to enhance its functionality. You can upgrade the 9.2 channels of THX Select 2 Plus to 11.2 channels by connecting an external amplifier to the 11.2 pre-outs and use Audyssey DSX or DTS Neo: X to playback through 10 to 11 channels. You can also assign 4 channels for audio in Zone 2 and 3 simultaneously.
At the back of the unit, you will find numerous inputs for additional enhancements. It has 8 HDMI Ports and 1 on the front panel that is compatible with MHL standard, 5 composites and 1 on the front panel, 3 optical inputs and 1 on the front panel, 2 components, 3 coaxial and 2 HDMI ports. There is also a single USB port and stereo inputs located on the front panel that supports TV, PC, Video and Photo for vinyl.
Another feature that I like about Onkyo TX-NR929 is the sound enhancement through the use of Audyssey MultiEQ XT32. It simply improves the entire audio experience in the room for better, smoother, sound transition and frequency range. On the other hand, the PM Bass Boost phase-matches the sound of bass to create a clear vocal sound which can be useful at times to make the voices clearer when watching movies.
Additionally, you can also use the remote to adjust the bass for better viewing or listening. Onkyo uses a Wide Range Amplifier Technology that generates a low negative feedback, closed groundloop circuits, and highly immediate current which produces a very clear sound, very tight bass with no distortion. Moreover, it can also process dynamic swings smoothly.
The Onkyo TX-NR929 has so many features and plenty of options to enhance the sound channels. It has connectivity, streaming, 3D, upscaling, networking, room equalization and so much more. This enables you to use the unit for many years without having to upgrade. The ratio between the price and the quality features you get is fantastic; this unit gives a real value for your money.